Reporting a move online: the ultimate guide

When moving to a new municipality or a different address, it is important to inform the municipality of your move. This ensures that your new address is correctly registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) and that important authorities are aware of your new place of residence. Fortunately, nowadays you can report your move online, which makes the process easier and more efficient. In this article we will discuss step by step how you can report your move online, what information you need and what you can expect from the processing of your move.


Before you start reporting your move online, it is important to have all the necessary information at hand. This includes your personal details, such as your name, date of birth and citizen service number (BSN), but also your old and new address, moving date and any partners or co-residents. It is also important to look at your personal situation. Are you moving within the old municipality or are you moving from another municipality to a new municipality? When you know this, you will pass on the move in the right way and you will not run into problems later on. 

Create a DigiD account

You need a DigiD account to report your move online. If you do not yet have a DigiD, you can easily request one on the DigiD website. Make sure you have your DigiD details to hand before you start reporting your move. Are you moving from abroad? Then you can also use your DigiD for this. This way you can also easily report your move from abroad.

Submit your move online

Go to the official website of your new municipality. On the website you will often find a special section or form for it report your move.

Log in with your DigiD

To gain access to the online transfer form, you must log in with your DigiD data. Enter your username and password and click 'Login'.

Fill in the transfer form

After you have logged in, the transfer form will open. Carefully fill in all the requested information. Make sure to fill in all fields marked as required. This way you can report your move.

Check your details and confirm

After completing the transfer form, it is important to check your details again before continuing. Check that all information is correct and complete. Consider, for example, a possible postal address or PO box. Then click on the 'Submit' or 'Confirm' button to submit your move.

Receive confirmation of your move

After successful report your move you will usually receive a confirmation by email. This confirmation serves as proof that your move has been processed. Keep this confirmation safe for your own administration.

Processing your move

In most cases you will be move processed by the municipality within 5 working days. This means that your new address is officially registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). This allows agencies such as the Social Insurance Bank and the Tax Authorities to be automatically informed of your move. Moving within the Netherlands is actually quite easy. 

Message from other authorities

It is possible that after submitting your relocation also receives notification from other authorities or organizations where you are registered, such as your health insurer, energy company or bank. They will update your new address details in their systems. You Report your move to the municipality Where you are going to live often means that other important authorities are also informed. This way you only have to report the move to the municipality. Make sure that you receive confirmation of your move. And don't forget to inform other less important authorities and companies of your move.

Parking permit

Do you need a parking permit? Then you also have to apply for this online from most municipalities in the Netherlands and this is often no longer possible by post these days. You can usually also request a visitor card for any visitors for the same address. Are you moving within the municipality? Then you can report this to the municipality so that they can adjust your permit to the new address on the date of your move. However, this works differently at every municipality and it is wise to inquire about this with your own municipality. In any case, never forget to notify the municipality of your move. 


Reporting your move online offers an easy and efficient way to register your new address with the municipality. With the help of your DigiD you can quickly and easily fill in and send the relocation form. Your move will be processed within 5 working days and your new address will be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database. Don't forget to keep the confirmation of your move in a safe place.

Don't forget to inform the right authorities and organizations about your move, such as your employer, health insurer and energy company. This way you ensure that your change of address is processed correctly and that you can enjoy the move to your new address without any problems.

Frequently Asked Questions

How far in advance should I notify my move?

It is advisable to notify the municipality of your move no more than 4 weeks before the move date or 5 days after your move. Are you not reporting the move 4 weeks before or within 5 days after the move and are you not reporting the move until later? Then you risk a fine of up to € 325. Keep in mind that processing often takes some time.

Can I also report my move in writing?

Yes, it is also possible to report your move in writing. you can contact the municipality where you are going to live and ask about the correct procedure within the municipality. They usually need a copy of a valid proof of identity. In some municipalities you can only report the move digitally. 

What happens if I do not report my move to the municipality?

If you do not report your move to the municipality, this may have consequences for your registration in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). It is important to have your new address registered correctly. In this case you also risk a fine of up to € 325. 

Do I also have to report my move if I move within the same municipality?

Yes, you must also report a move within the municipality. This ensures that your address details are up-to-date in the Personal Records Database. So always report your move. This can be done online or by mail. Check the website of your municipality for more information. 

What happens if I report my move too late?

It is important to inform the municipality of your move as soon as possible. If you do this too late, administrative problems may arise and this may have consequences for your student finance or other government affairs, for example, because the municipality will pass on your move to the other authorities. Are you not reporting your move on time? Then you risk a fine of up to € 325.