Moving to another municipality? You must know this

When you are planning a move, you quickly think about how to arrange the practical matters. Consider, for example, moving your belongings from A to B. However, the administrative aspects of a move are of course also important. Like you, for example Report your move to the new municipality.

Checklist moving to another municipality

It is always best to use a checklist for a move. You can put this together yourself or you can personalize the perfect checklist from Moving!

Report your move to the municipality

When you move to another municipality, you report a move to the municipality is therefore very important. You are even obliged to register yourself with the municipality as a new resident.

When you move to a new municipality

If you move within your current municipality, you can only use one inform about a change of address. Passing on all information to the municipality is very simple and it is of course not necessary to unsubscribe yourself. However, when you move to a new municipality, this works differently.

Report the move to the new municipality

Are you leaving your current municipality? Then you do not have to implement a change of address, but you have to report a move. In this case, you must officially declare your move because you must be registered as a new resident in the new municipality.

The other municipality will automatically pass on your move

When you move from the old municipality to a new one, it is only necessary to register yourself with the other municipality, i.e. the new municipality. This will automatically inform the old municipality of your move.

How can you register yourself?

You can register with the municipality in different ways and we are happy to explain these ways to you.

Nowadays you can do almost anything in the Netherlands transmit digitally. This also applies to your new living situation with your new address details. This can often be done via the website of the relevant municipality with your DigiD. For more information about this, we would like to refer you to the website of your municipality.

You can also pass on your new address personally. You can report your change of address at the desk in the town hall. Please note that in most municipalities you must first make an appointment for this.

In this case, do not forget to bring a valid proof of identity. This can be your passport, driver's license or Dutch identity card (ID card).

You can also report the move by post. It does not matter whether you move to another municipality or within the old municipality. However, if you communicate your move in writing, it is possible that it will take a little longer. So keep this in mind.

Necessary documents

You've read it before, but a handy summary is always a nice bonus, right? You need the following documents to report your move:

  • a valid proof of identity (passport, driver's license, Dutch identity card or foreigner's document);
  • proof of habitation (rental contract, purchase deed or consent statement from the main occupant).

Every adult must pass on a change of address himself. Do you have minor children? Then you as a parent can arrange this for them.

Relocation notification period

You must report your move within four weeks before or no later than five days after your address changes. The date you state as the moving date on the tax return is the date of moving.

Make sure that you arrange all this on time, because municipalities can give a fine of up to € 325 if you do not report important changes on time.

The other municipality, i.e. the new municipality, will process your registration in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). Your move will then be automatically passed on to authorities such as the tax authorities, RDW, health insurers, etc.

Registering with the new municipality also has advantages, since you no longer have to inform various authorities about your move. This saves you a lot of time!

Which authorities will automatically receive a message from you?

When you move within the old municipality or to another municipality, you will: relocation will be automatically communicated to the most important authorities in the Netherlands.

The municipality will automatically pass on your change of address to the following authorities:

  • The tax
  • Education Executive Agency (DUO)
  • Police and fire brigade
  • National Road Traffic Service (RDW)
  • Social Insurance Bank (SVB)
  • Health insurers

Check the municipal taxes

The municipal taxes are collected by the municipality in which you are registered. Also the OZB (property tax), sewage and waste levies. Every municipality arranges this in a different way and that is why it is important to inquire carefully.

In the Netherlands we have 24 water boards. If you move to another municipality, you may therefore fall under a different water board from now on. People often pay in advance and in this case you will pay twice when moving house. Fortunately, in the case of double-payment of taxes, you can get a part refunded from your old water board. So check this carefully!

A move ahead

Are you also moving? Have you already canceled the rental contract of your old home and are you ready to move to your new home? So it is important not to mix these things up

By the way, do you need a parking permit?

Your current parking permit will of course not move with you and that is why it is also important to check at the new address whether you cannot already apply for a parking permit. If necessary, of course. If you don't do this, the costs can be high and after such an expensive move you obviously don't want this.

Hire a moving company

If you are going to live somewhere else and are moving soon and actually have no time to carry out the move yourself, you can always go for a professional moving company to elect. Professional movers We are happy to take care of your move so that you no longer have to worry about anything.

The average cost of hiring a moving company

Removals are all different and therefore the costs are always different. That is why it is always wise to know the exact costs of your move moving quotes to request.

At Moving we understand that you don't have time to contact different moving companies at all and that is why we have come up with a solution for this.

At Moving you can now easily receive multiple moving quotes with one application form. For this you only need to fill in one application form so that we can send it to the 6 best moving companies in your region. They will then contact you within 24 hours.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should you do if you move to another municipality?

You must always report your move to the municipality. This can be done personally, in writing and digitally.

What happens if you register with another municipality?

If you move to another municipality, the new municipality will implement the change in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) and the new municipality will also automatically deregister you from the old municipality.

Is deregistration required from the municipality?

No, when you move to a new municipality, the new municipality will deregister you from the old municipality.

Can you just register at an address?

Your actual stay at the address is decisive for registration, which is why you always need proof of residence when registering. This can be a rental contract, deed of purchase or a statement of consent from the main occupant.

How long does it take to register in another municipality?

The change to your move is usually implemented in the BRP within 5 working days and you will receive written confirmation of this within 2 weeks.